Healthy Mexican Casserole with Roasted Corn & Peppers
Recipe sent in by Iowa Choice Harvest customer Angela
Modified from a recipe from www.pinchofyum.com
2 red bell peppers
2 green bell peppers
1 jalapeno or 2 chipotle peppers (optional)
1/2 red onion
2 cups Iowa Choice Harvest corn
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoon cumin
salt to taste
2 cups Mexican cheese
18-20 corn tortillas
1 can refried beans
2 cups red enchilada sauce
cilantro, guacamole, or sour cream for toppingDirections:
Roast the veggies:
- Dice the peppers and mince the onions.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet with NO oil over high heat.
- Add the onion and peppers, sprinkle with chili and cumin, and do not stir. This allows the peppers to roast and brown on the outside.
- After a few minutes, give the pan a shake or stir and let the peppers sit again for a few more minutes without stirring.
- Remove and set aside. Repeat the roasting process with the corn, sprinkling with chili and cumin, removing from the heat when browned and roasted on the outside. Sprinkle the roasted veggies with a little bit of salt and toss to coat.
Prep the ingredients:
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the tortillas into thin strips. Put the refried beans in a bowl and mix with a little bit of water to make them easier to spread.
- Spread a little bit of sauce on the bottom of the pan. Layer in order: half of the tortilla strips, all the beans, half of the veggies, half of the sauce, half of the cheese.
- Cover with the other half of the tortilla strips, veggies, sauce, and cheese.
- Cover with foil (I usually spray mine with cooking spray) and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with guacamole, fresh cilantro, sour cream, or anything in the world that you want.